Administrative support to the Chair
- Provides executive assistance to the Chair, including maintaining the Chair’s calendar;
- Organizes details for department committees and meetings, maintains meeting agenda and minutes, running election votes, follow-up on relevant business;
- Facilitates the collection of signatures required and prepares correspondence and confidential documents for the Chair’s signature as required;
- Provides Administrative Manager up-to-date information on new appointments or any other activity in the Chair’s office as they relate to department space, logistics and budget, and identifies and resolves problems.
Faculty Recruitment and Visitors and Immigration
- Responsible for the administrative aspects of the faculty and sessional hiring process;
- Prepares interview invitation letter & schedule for candidates; in coordination with the Administrative Manager arranges for local travel, hotel accommodation, on- and off-campus meals;
- Prepares appointment and rejection (Mathjobs) letters and Labour Market Impact Assessment as necessary
- Prepares visiting and immigration documents for all faculty members, post-doctoral fellows and international visitors;
- Serves as liaison with the local office of Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) and Canada Immigration (CIC) to process appointments of non-Canadians, and provides both Canadian and non-Canadian faculty members and visitors with information concerning Canadian immigration and employment policies;
- Provides transition support in coordination with the Administrative Manager on details including moving policy, financial and teaching obligations, as they pertain to offer letters
Academic Appointments (Faculty, Definite-Term and Post-doctoral Fellows)
- Prepares paperwork for faculty, definite term and postdoctoral appointments;
- Coordinates with the Administrative Manager to ensures that all support services are arranged, and provides information on university and academic policies and procedures as required;
- In liaison with the Administrative Manager, prepares cross-appointments, adjunct appointments and administrative appointments;
- Monitors end dates of definite term and probationary term appointments and ensures renewals are processed in a timely manner;
- Coordinates details for incoming visitors, including, but not limited to, office space, computer, telephone, computer accounts, printing access.
Sabbaticals, and confidential records collection and maintenance
- Provides faculty members with sabbatical application materials, deadlines, and reviews sabbatical leave entitlements prior to submission to Department Chair and Dean of Math approval;
- Maintains up-to-date faculty, definite term, postdoctoral, professor emeritus and visitor files;
- Collects annual activity reports and assists with performance review process;
- Prepares statistics for annual reports and merit reviews;
- Responsible for compiling Tenure and Promotion package materials and supporting documentation in consultation with the faculty member and Chair; maintaining a schedule of deadlines and meetings; preparing draft briefs for the Chair and committee, and submission of document;
- Department file retention.
Other general department administrative duties
- Respond to general departmental inquiries, including the general department email account
- Co-ordinates special events, including but not limited to, Distinguished Speaker Series, retirements, Christmas, picnic, in consultation with internal and external partners;
- Processes P-card transactions and manages petty cash funds; Provides financial reconciliation, to include but not limited to, special events, purchase card transactions, petty cash fund.
- Provides communication support for web updates;
- Maintains departmental lists, including but not limited to, faculty, staff and visitor lists, departmental committees, sabbaticals, sessional appointments, adjuncts, retirements;
- Responsible for allocation of visitor space in the department and oversight of lockbox, including key permit preparation and distribution, computer accounts, computers; holder of master key as required;