Responsible for the day-to-day kitchen operation:
- Plan and manage food production in accordance with recognized preparation procedures, and effectively utilize all available resources.
- Demonstrate display cooking techniques using skill and creativity in the preparation and presentation of food.
- Develop menu selections on a daily, weekly and/or rotational basis including vegetarian options, theme menus for special events, and any accommodation required for special dietary needs.
- Order products and supplies from approved suppliers, consistent with University procedures and Departmental guidelines. Ensure invoices are reconciled with products received, and may assist in assessing supplier service and product quality.
- Ensure proper turnover of food and materials minimizing waste and spoilage.
- Regularly conduct and oversee the monthly inventory counts and valuations process.
- Comply with all relevant legislations and guidelines including but not limited to Occupational Health and Safety, Health Protection and Promotion Act, Employment Standards, CUPE Local 793 Collective Agreement, University Policies and Procedures
Take a lead role in ensuring the safe preparation and handling of food and general oversight over health and safety standards:
- Ensure Public Health / Steritech standards for sanitation and food safety are met
- Maintain an overall focus on health and safety ensuring the workplace is clean, safe, hygienic and organized
- Represent a clean professional image for the public and maintain exemplary personal hygiene
- Ensure applicable training is up-to-date for self and reports
Effectively supervise staff, including CUPE Local 793 members, casual part-time and/or salaried staff depending on assigned work location:
- Oversee the work of, and provide direction to applicable kitchen staff
- Maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders, fostering collaboration and maintaining high staff morale
- Utilize performance coaching techniques to motivate and guide staff. May be required to conduct annual performance evaluations with salaried staff
- Take corrective action and performance manage staff as required. Consultation with Employee Relations Coordinator, Executive Chef and/or Human Resources may be required
- Schedule applicable employees to optimize staffing levels and coverage
- May be required to mentor and train culinary apprentices
- Assist with recruitment activities and training of applicable staff
- May be required to prepare and submit bi-weekly payroll for a small group of employees using proprietary software
- Evaluate food products through menu management and evaluation to ensure targets are met
- Control and manage food costs and applicable labour costs, ensuring production and serving controls as per budget targets
- Work within established guidelines to appropriately price products and menus. Consultation with relevant committees and/or consultation with Area Manager/Executive Chef may be required
- May be required to provide cost analysis and recommend corrective action where needed
- May assist in developing the annual operating food cost budget for assigned unit(s)
Contribute to the delivery of a positive customer experience:
- Assist with themed events to increase customer participation and engagement
- Actively participate in relevant departmental and other related committees
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, develop themed events to increase customer participation and engagement
- In collaboration with Executive Chef, develop and implement new fresh and healthy menus, including specialized menus, which meet or exceed quality standards
- Meet with customers/clients to discuss menu selections and special dietary needs. May be required to produce menu tastings for potential clients
- May participate in cooking and teaching demonstrations for staff and students to promote UW Food Services’ programs, menus and products
Other duties as assigned:
- Participate in training and development opportunities to keep industry knowledge current and remain aware of emerging trends
- May participate in the planning, management and execution of special projects, unit renovations and the introduction of new programs
- Coverage for other chefs during absences
- Participate in sustainability initiatives