Configures, implements, and maintains OR information systems projects that support institutional and departmental strategic goals
- Collaborates with the Information Systems Team to ensure the efficient and effective development and operation of the research information systems
- Plays a key role in ensuring that research information systems are optimally configured to maintain consistent and efficient workflow, including the provision of statistical data, and that system upgrades are implemented as required
- Contributes to the regular Information Systems Team review of operational and functional requirements and practices in order to identify issues and opportunities pertaining to the use of research information systems, reporting on consultations within OR; with the faculty, staff, and students who conduct research; and with research sponsors
- Proactively monitors the effectiveness of OR information systems and business practices, and researches tools and techniques for their optimization, keeping management informed of significant issues and making recommendations as appropriate
- Assumes project management responsibilities, including oversight of resources and time, ensuring timely completion in alignment with agreed-upon objectives
- Provides computer systems support to facilitate the accurate and efficient completion of OR projects, as required
- Participates in ongoing cross-training within the Information Systems Team
- Supervises project contract staff and student resources as appropriate
Provides technical expertise to advance functional and technical improvements in OR information systems and business processes
- Contributes functional expertise with respect to implementing research system projects, including identification of the need for upgrades or changes and, if appropriate, their implementation
- In consultation with the Manager, Research Information Systems, develops internal project scope, planning, resources,
- schedules, and risk
- Contributes to the assessment of requests for systems development through discussion with stakeholders, obtaining clarification and ensuring accurate understanding of the requirements as well as the life-cycle.
- Provides expertise to functional subject matter experts, software providers, and other stakeholders with respect to the implementation and testing of new systems or the adoption of new system functionality or processes in order to ensure
- optimization of the OR systems
- Identifies test scenarios, develops testing plans, and ensures that functional testing is conducted and documented in accordance with best practices and established standards.
- Conducts testing so that it occurs within established timelines and is documented so that issues and risks are assessed
- Accurately implements, maintains and documents system specifications, configurations and requirements.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains secure, authorized access that complies with internal and external data security guidelines
Collaborates, advises, and consults
- Collaborates with and advises the Information Systems Team with respect to computer systems issues
- Develops productive, collegial working relationships with the OR, IST and other on-campus partners, embracing and consistently applying the Basic Principles of the Waterloo workplace
- Contributes to relevant OR committees, and represents OR at university-wide meetings, as appropriate
Maintains an appropriate level of institutional knowledge, job-related expertise, and awareness of industry standards
- Keeps fully informed about applicable aspects of uWaterloo research policies and processes, project - management best practices, and applicable computer information systems.
- Proactively practices a continuous improvement approach by maintaining awareness of uW’s Strategic Plan and the Office of Research Strategic Plan
- Investigates and suggests appropriate continuing education opportunities that will benefit OR by expanding job-related expertise
- Keeps abreast of trends, developments, and best practices in technology and computer systems; researches and recommends accordingly the use of new tools, systems, techniques, and approaches that could enhance the achievement of university and departmental goals