Lead and facilitate stakeholders with a responsibility for or an interest in the residence experience of graduate students and students with families
- Ensure communication, knowledge-building, and business process structures are in place to inform and align the work of internal, campus, and external partners.
- Provide day-to-day management-level support at CLV-N to the full-time, contract and student-staff who work there. Manage performance through formal and informal methods.
- Lead and coordinate the activities of the CLV-N Operations Committee by acting as chairperson and liaising regularly on behalf of the committee with Housing and Residences’ managers and the department’s senior management team.
- Lead the ongoing review of CLV-N-specific policies, processes and business systems in order to
- implement recommendations that improve efficiency
- Act as primary point of contact for key stakeholders, external partners, department managers and coordinators in order to improve information sharing and the speed of evidence-based decisionmaking.
- Ensure that concerns regarding CLV-N brought forward by students and/or staff /stakeholders are considered with care, handled judiciously, escalated when appropriate, and resolved or addressed in a timely fashion
Build and maintain strategic relationships
- Lead regular meetings with managers in Student Development & Residence Life, Housing Occupancy & Marketing Services, Residence Facilities, and Office of the Director of Housing to ensure in-depth knowledge of the entire CLV-N operation inclusive of the roles, responsibilities and interdependencies of the department’s business units. Provide leadership for the ongoing collaboration between these units to improve business processes and student service delivery
- Be knowledgeable about the opportunities and limitations of the current Public-Private Partnership agreement at CLV-N in order to inform and provide management support for the transition to a new property management service provider. Provide managerial oversight and coordination to ensure responsibilities of stakeholders and service providers are carried out effectively
- Build positive and purposeful relationships with campus partners including but not limited to: The Graduate Student Association, Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, Waterloo International, and the Student Success Office to be well informed of the unique social and academic experiences of these student populations. Together with these partners, identify issues and opportunities in order to develop and execute action plans which enhance the studentand residence experience and positively contribute towards academic retention and success
Program Research and Development
- Be knowledgeable and up-to-date on best practices at other institutions and current trends in campus housing for graduate students and students with families
- Engage CLV-residents in formal (advisory boards, consultative councils, focus groups) and informal (door-knocking, community events) dialogue about their living environment and the factors that contribute to their academic and social development, engagement and success. Ensure department, campus and external stakeholders are knowledgeable about the findings in order to inform which elements of the CLV-N service to continue, what we should start doing, and what we should stop doing
- Leverage, improve upon and add to current tools and data sources for CLV-N program evaluation and assessment in order to identify opportunities for community enhancements, program/service development, and innovation that aligns with the department’s and the university’s strategic plans
- Prioritize projects and recommend changes to the department’s senior management team for approval
Strategy development and execution
- Lead the development of a long-term graduate and student family housing strategy for the purpose of supporting student success needs and assisting the University in the priority areas of graduate
- student enrolment and internationalization
- Evaluate the existing public-private partnership agreement at CLV-N and provide recommendations to the Senior Management team in Housing on changes or opportunities that would improve the
- effectiveness of the partnership, efficiency of the operations and service delivery to residents
- Prepare and ensure implementation of plans that improve integration of work systems and processes across the department’s business units and the department’s work with campus and external stakeholders
Provide overall leadership to the organization by:
- Role modeling to promote the execution of strategic actions important to Housing and Residences
- Work with managers across business units and stakeholder groups to evaluate existing processes and develop new processes at CLV-N in response to departmental strategy and University priorities
- Develop productive, collaborative working relationships with relevant colleagues, campus partners and external service providers
- Lead the identification, development and implementation of projects at CLV-N to improve service quality, relationships, stakeholder satisfaction, process timelines, staff capability and performance
- Lead the process of developing assessment frameworks and outcomes for the purpose of monitoring and analyzing the performance of CLV-N business systems and student experience