Assists with and supports the department’s strategic planning efforts addressing stewardship responsibilities and long-term sustainability of the University’s campus, facilities and infrastructure and maximizing opportunities for efficient delivery of campus services and optimal investments in University-wide infrastructure.
Operations Planning and Management
Oversees planning, management and delivery of all aspects of heating and cooling of University-wide infrastructure for the University’s campus, facilities, fostering a client-focused, service-oriented work environment for operational consistency, effectiveness and compliant with all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards related to facilities operations as well as occupational health and environmental safety.
- Coordination of a preventive and predictive maintenance program which includes establishing, in consultation with the Director, the methods and schedule for the regular inspection, testing, and servicing of all heating and cooling generation and distribution systems and servicing of all related support equipment,
- Providing input to the Maintenance Supervisors regarding the activities of their staff and ensuring coordination of their activities as they relate to operational requirements as necessary utilizing a computerized maintenance management (work order) system,
- Updating capital expenditure forecasts and ensuring the section is performing to budget expectations,
- Sourcing and ordering parts and materials required for maintenance and alteration work within a signing authority for purchases up to $5000.00,
- Coordinating and monitoring projects performed by contractors.
Responsible for the workplace health and safety of the section members. This requires the application of safe methods, codes and standards, the creation of job procedures; training, informally during job assignment and formally during safety meetings; the correction of hazards identified through suggestions from the crew; inspection of the work place and the investigation of accidents.
Responsible for the productivity, effectiveness and morale of the section members. This is accomplished by effective assignment of the available resources, clear instructions, training as required, evaluation of results, and corrective action as necessary,
Management duties include providing recommendations on the skills makeup and crew size requirements and recruitment of new employees,
Assigns and co-ordinates the resources of labour, material and equipment to meet the demands of maintenance and special project work requests,
Inspects the workmanship, safety and productivity of the section and takes the necessary corrective and disciplinary action to maintain the standards of the department,
As the first line of supervision, (s)he has the responsibility of supervising unionized employees, answering grievances presented as verbal complaints, handling disciplinary actions and communicating on behalf of the University,
Identification of the need for instruction and training and then providing or obtaining it as required. A monthly safety meeting is held for formal communication and training.
The managing of special projects is an additional responsibility.
- Consulting with the client, some design responsibility, material procurement, scheduling of construction activity and utility shutdowns, providing jobsite inspection and commissioning,
- Contractors and consultants are sourced and recommended to provide resources and skills unavailable in the section. Their work is then coordinated, supervised, and inspected.